ALL Students planning to go to a community college, public or private 4-year college, or trade/vocational school should fill out a FAFSA or Dream Act application in their Senior year. Scroll down to learn more! 

Types of Aid: How to apply for Financial Aid:

Scroll down to learn more about each type of aid!

STEP 1. Create an FSA ID! 

STEP 2. Apply using the FAFSA or Dream Act application depending on your eligibility status between October 1st & March 2nd! 

  • AB 540 or Undocumented students need to fill out the Dream Act application.

Do you need help filling out the FAFSA? Go here for a step-by-step guide: https://www.standoutcollegeprep.com/fafsa-question...

Are you stuck or have a question on the FAFSA or Dream Act application? Chat with a Federal Student Aid live agent here: https://studentaidhelp.ed.gov/app/chat/chat_launch

The College Board provides access to Wyatt, a free personal chatbox (texting) assistant available 24/7 in case the live agents are not available. You will need to sign up for the College Board Opportunity Scholarship program to access Wyatt but that is win, win! Go here to sign up and access Wyatt: https://www.getfafsahelp.org/cb/

FAFSA is a free application. If you are on a site that is requiring a fee, redirect your browser to www.fafsa.gov.

  • The first step in qualifying for grants is to submit a FAFSA or Dream Act Application. 
  • Chafee Grant - Grant for students who have been in the foster youth system. Eligibility: 
    • Be a current or former foster youth who was a ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
    • Youth who are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship, or were adopted, are eligible only if the youth was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
    • Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
  • Supplemental Eduational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)
  • Federal Pell Grant
    • Awarded to students who demonstrate financial need to pay for their education after high school
    • To apply, simply check "yes" to the appropriate question on your FAFSA application
    • Your college financial aid office determines the size of the award
    • Click here to learn more about Pell Grants!
  • CalGrant

The California Dream Act offers AB540 or undocumented students the opportunity to apply for and receive several types of financial aid such as: 
  • Board of Governors Fee Waiver
  • State financial aid like CalGrants and Chafee Grants
  • Assistance from EOPS, CARE and Cal works
  • Privately-Funded Scholarships
In order to qualify for AB 540 a student must:
  • Have attended a high school in California for 3 years or more.
  • Have graduated from a California high school or received their equivalent GED.
  • File an affidavit with the public state college or university stating that he or she will file an application to obtain legal permanent residency as soon as he or she is eligible.
  • To fill out a Dream Act application go to: https://dream.csac.ca.gov/
Work Study: 
Federal Loans: