Preliminary Overview of Brookside Elementary School Services and Supports
During Remote Instruction
In order to get off to a great new school year at Brookside Elementary, and to ensure remote learning is as smooth and as successful as possible, we plan to offer a variety of instructional opportunities. Here are some initial details, with more coming soon, as we move toward beginning school on August 31st.
- Daily, direct contact by your child’s teacher with every student, is critical. This could be on the phone, online, or in some cases, in-person at school while observing the health guidelines during COVID. Each teacher will have daily online office hours.
- Online platforms and programs including, but not limited to Class Dojo, Zoom, Raz Kids-Reading A-Z, IXL, Everyday Math (ConnectEd), and Clever (Benchmark Reading) will be used. Some students will also use Google Classroom.
- If your child has IEP services such as counseling, educational support or speech and language instruction, those services will continue, using some of the above-named formats. Contact Kelley Labus or Juanita Mann at 707.459.5314 for information. Your child’s service provider will begin contacting students on August 19th.
- The State of California set the requirement for the number of daily instructional minutes for the 2020-21 school year as follows: 180 minutes for kindergarten, 230 for grades 1 to 3 and 240 for grades 4 to 12. The minutes your child spends in a variety of educational activities such as working online with the teacher and class, working independently, working with his/her teacher or assistant by phone or in person, working online with a small ability-leveled group, and/or practicing skills in assigned games and activities all count toward that time requirement.
- We plan to send home a bag of materials your child can use to learn at home. These include the basics like pencils, crayons, workbooks, etc… depending on your child’s grade.
- Our teachers may have instructional assistants who will also be connecting with students online, via phone, and as needed and allowable, in person.
- Internet access locations at school will be available with social distancing & safety protocols.
- Our office team will be calling you August 17th-21st to complete a phone survey, and will be mailing specific information to families on August 18-19th. Please ensure your contact information is up to date in your Aeries Parent Portal. You can access the Parent Portal at https://abi.willitsunified.net/parent/LoginParent.aspx.
- To facilitate communication, teachers plan to meet in person or via Zoom online with students and parents and caregivers during the first week of school. Teachers will contact you about a time. This is your chance to learn how the students will meet daily with the teacher, and to ask questions. Daily attendance during online instruction will be taken, and attendance, as during at-school instruction, is critical!
- We value our partnership with families and caregivers. Please help us communicate and connect with you by responding to teacher calls or emails and help your child by establishing expectations and routines for off-site instruction. Make sure the school has your current contact information and don’t hesitate to reach out to staff if you or your child is having difficulty with the instruction, assignments, motivation, or stress. You can reach the Brookside principal, Kathleen Crossman at KathleenCrossman@WillitsUnified.com. Our school phone number is 707.459.5385. The office will open August 17th.